Monday 26 April 2010

Ow, that hurts!

On Monday morning, the Marathon runners were easy to spot in central London - they were the ones having trouble walking. Going up or down steps - or even walking downhill - is very painful.

Andi Jones, four times winner of the Snowdon Mountain Race, missed his target time on 25 April by 4 minutes, finishing 10th in the men's event - the same position achieved by Mara Yamauchi in the women's race. Both those elite runners were about 1 3/4 hours quicker than me, but I take heart from the fact that they - like me - are only human, and everyone has off days.

My off day saw my 3 hours 40 bid evaporate in the heat of a muggy London, and I crawled, rather than romped, home in 3.51. I was okay at 13 miles, but something went badly wrong after that and at 17 I'd quite happily have given up.

I was taking on water every mile and slurping down energy gels, but to no avail - my legs just didn't want to work.

But lots of encouragement from the wonderful crowds helped keep me going - I've not had so many people wishing me happy birthday since I was in junior school.

No comments:

Post a Comment